--- Begin Message ---

    ----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Glenn Hauser <wghau...@yahoo.com>To:
WOR DXLD <w...@groups.io>Sent: Sunday, July 18, 2021, 04:23:19 PM GMT+1Subject:
KALW SF programming revamp, cuts Tangents in half

Tangents is one of my favorite music+ shows heard via webcast from KALW San
Francisco, UT Sundays 03-07. From next week it is being chopped immediately to
half that time, 05-07 UT. Last night Dore dealt with this issue at similar
length as in his newsletter; feels it is unfair and counterproductive to reduce
its hours by 50%. Glenn
    ----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Dore Stein <tangentsra...@gmail.com>To:
"tangents-upd...@kumr.lns.com" <tangents-upd...@kumr.lns.com>Sent: Sunday, July
18, 2021, 02:09:13 PM GMT+1Subject: Re: [Tangents-update] Tangents Newsletter
7/13/21; Review of 7/12/21 Public ZOOM Meeting; 2nd ZOOM Meeting Tonight 6p

Hi all,

Last night I along with many Tangents folks attended KALW’sZOOM meeting about
the new music programs and the cuts into others includingTangents. The
recording is not publicly accessible. However, I will provide youwith General
Manager Tina Pamintuan’s comments taken from my notes. This is notan official
transcript but the best I can do under the circumstances. Anyitalicized remarks
are my comments and questions.

Tonight is the second and last 6p KALW Public ZOOM call. I highlyrecommend
attending as a way to become acquainted with management and understandwhere
they are coming from.

ZOOM registration

Last night’s call lasted 1:15. People were limited to oneminute to ask their
question or make a comment. Two hours would have beenbetter. Public meetings at
SF City Hall provide two minutes regardless of thequeue.

General Manager Tina Pamintuan was the main speaker.

Jon Carroll was the moderator. He is Operations Manager and isin charge of
Development and Membershipamong other duties.

Tina opened with an explanation of the rationale for the newmusic format.

Factors included: (these are not necessarily exact quotes)

“What music is not being represented in the Bay Area?”

“What communities are not being served?”

The answers were notspelled out. I’d like to know.

Factors leading to music program hours being cut:

“How long has it been on the schedule?”

“Dig deep and learn what it means to share.”

“No show is being cut. But we’re asking for hours to beshared.”

I’ll excerpt a section of the July 10Tangents email in case you missed seeing
it.

“General Manager Tina Pamintuan’sintentions for the new eclectic format come
from a good place. Tina'smotivation is articulated in her op-ed 3Steps Toward
Making NPR More Inclusive and Diverse. What does not make programming sense to
me is significantly cuttinghours from the live, local Saturday music
programming block while keepingduplicate syndicated programs intact. Several
shows air 3 and 4 times betweenKALW and KQED. There are also programs that air
simultaneously. This is theheart of the matter. GM Tina Pamintuan is
prioritizing duplicate programmingover compelling, live, local music programs.
Syndicated programs are alsoavailable listen-on-demand at their websites. Local
live radio is the holygrail of public radio. Its future depends on it. At some
point a majorityof listeners will change their habits and listen on demand.
Unique, creative,local live radio will be what nourishes public radio stations.
Tangents is sucha program.”

“Give room to new voices”

“Do they show excellence? All the shows are excellent”

“Do they align with diversity and inclusion andrepresentative of host
themselves?”

My interpretation: Prioritizationis given to host’s ethnicity over program
content.

“Who is hosting? Equity inclusion”

“Uplift voices of artists and hosts themselves.”

Additional factors:

“Duplication of music genres in market”

Tangents is unique inthe Bay Area and beyond. I don’t know of a more inclusive
music program.

“Northstar…inspire diverse audiences”

Tina said months of research went into the new eclecticmusic initiative.

She consulted with managers at KALW, KALW Public Media Boardof Directors (KALW
is now a 501c3 and KPM is the Board) and SFUSD (owner of KALW).

Tina said nationally repeated programs will be trimmed in aphased approach.

KALW consulted with PublicMedia Company. It was tasked with answering:

“What generations are not being served and what genres arenot being served?

What generations,genres and BIPOC communities are not being served by Tangents?
ObviouslyTangents doesn’t play all genres but I wonder what KALW’s research
concluded. Whatpart of the diversity spectrum does the new music format fill
that Tangents doesnot? Tangents does not target a demographic. It targets a
mind set. Tangentsappeals to listeners who are open-eared, curious and
appreciate the art ofsurprise. Public speakers on last night’s ZOOM call
included people in their20’s, 30’s and 80’s.

Tina said she consulted music professionals in the Bay Area.

It would be good tolearn who they are? Tina did mention on the call that Aaron
Byrd, a musicprogrammer at KCRW is the architect of the new music format.

On the topic of individual program fundraising, Tina stated:

"Every program contributes. Not one more than another.There are tiny
differences between programs. We don't see a statisticaldifference of one going
above another.”

“We don't make programming decisions on how much theyraise."

It’s clear the abovestatement is true considering how much money Tangents
listeners havecontributed.

Music Programming Goals:

“KALW to become a beloved, independent, indispensabledestination for music in
the Bay Area and beyond.”

“Expand reach and diversity KALW’s audience and listenercommunity both on air
and digitally.”

“Build community through local musicians and becoming adestination for music
discovery and events.”

Q&A:

“Tangents cut to accommodate others.”

“Dore cut Gaza Corner himself probably because Tangents is 2hours instead of 4
hours.”

This is technicallytrue. But it is misleading spin as any Tangents listener
knows.

I welcome your feedback and as does KALW.

If you have yet to do so please email the station with yourinput and fill out
the short KALW listener survey.

Email your comments and questions to the following addresses:

KALW General Manager Tina Pamintuan feedb...@kalw.org

Please cc me at tangentsra...@gmail.com.

Also cc the following members of the San Francisco UnifiedSchool District
(SFUSD) Board of Education which hires KALW management. TheBoard does not
involve itself with KALW programming decisions but shouldwelcome community
input as the owner of the station's license.

President Gabriela Lopez    gabrielalo...@sfusd.edu

Vice President Faauuga Moliga    faauugamol...@sfusd.edu

Commissioner Matt Alexander    mattalexan...@sfusd.edu

Commissioner Alison Collins    alisonmcoll...@sfusd.edu

Commissioner Jenny Lam    jenny...@sfusd.edu

Commissioner Mark Sanchez    marksanc...@sfusd.edu

Commissioner Kevine Boggess    kevinebogg...@sfusd.edu

There will be a ZOOMcall for the Tangents community this Sunday at 7p. I will
send out an invite later inthe week. I welcome your comments and questions at
tangentsra...@gmail.com.

Onward,

Dore

Privacy Policy/Terms of Use:

Folks on the Tangents email list receive email updates from from timeto time as
events dictate. Your information is not shared with anyone.

This email was sent to you because you either subscribed, asked to be on the
Tangents emaillist or emailed Tangents Radio.

To be removedor added to the Tangents email list send an email to
tangentsra...@gmail.com and put "unsubscribe" or "subscribe"in the subject
field. Or you can follow auto directions at the bottom of theemail for both
removal and subscribing.

www.tangents.com (includes links to Tangents playlists)

Tangents Sat nights 8p-mid; streamed @ kalw.org, 91.7fm, SF; archived for a
week at KALW
Also airs on Multicult.fm Monday nights 10p-2a (Berlin time) and Lisbon's
CBFWebRadio.com.
To be in the loop for future Tangents Greece Music Tours, email
tangentsgreecet...@gmail.com

Transglobal panel member

em: tangentsra...@gmail.com; (415) 841-4134 (Studio: Sat. 8-mid)

Music announcements posted at Tangents Radio page on Facebook and @Tangents
Radio on Twitter (must request to follow)

Dore Stein/Tangents Radio
301 Gambier St.
San Francisco CA  94134-1341 USA