--- Begin Message ---

    ----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Dore Stein <tangentsra...@gmail.com>To:
"tangents-upd...@kumr.lns.com" <tangents-upd...@kumr.lns.com>Sent: Sunday, July
25, 2021, 06:46:57 AM GMT+1Subject: Re: [Tangents-update] Tangents Newsletter
7/24/21; 10p Tangents starts tonight; Make Your Voice Heard; Songlines Media
Partnership and More
 10p-Mid Two Hour Tangents Starts Tonight(Sat nights, 91.7fm, kalw.org, KALW
one week archive)

The consequences of gutting Tangents in half are many. The essence of Tangents
is bringing the musical world together by showing its global interconnectedness
through a creative genre-defying flow. This is not possible confined to a two
hour window. I'm reminded of a positioning statement by all news WINS, N.Y.
"You give us 22 minutes, we'll give you the world."  How that got passed as a
positioning statement is beyond me. You limit me two hours, I cannot achieve
the essence of Tangents. This is why two hour Tangents is not Tangents. I was
going to change its name but that would be confusing to other stations and
platforms where Tangents airs.

By necessity, Tangents will be less flowing and improvised which removes part
of my radio DNA.

The obvious specific casualties are the Tangential roots Americana opening hour
and Gaza Corner. There is no time for them although I will not completely
abandon either. I'll be opportunistic but obviously I cannot do deep dives.

Email tangentsra...@gmail.com if you would like to be added to a new Gaza
Corner newsletter. The July 17 final KALW Gaza Corner can be downloaded here.
(link expires in 7 days)

Tangents was the first to introduce important artists in the Bay Area such as
Yemen Blues (in collaboration with the Jewish Music Festival), Ibrahim Maalouf,
Mahsa Vahdat, Guy Buttery, Stefano Barone, etc. It will be much tougher to
break artists with the program cut in half and tucked into the 10p-midnight
corner. KALW's program cuts penalize program excellence and longevity. Tangents
is like a mature sequoia with deep roots in the Bay Area and global music
ecosystem. KALW is uprooting the tree based on guidance from out of town music
and research consultants based in L.A. and Boulder respectfully. So much for
KALW being rooted in the Bay Area.

I anticipated a strong reaction from the Tangents community but the response
has been beyond overwhelming. I have received hundreds of heartfelt emails. It
is amazing and keeps my hope alive. I do my best to answer each email in a
timely manner but there are so many I am wayyy behind. Just know I deeply
appreciate your support and we're blessed to have such a remarkable community.

I have new proposals that amplify the station's DEI, (Diversity, Equity,
Inclusion) mantra in creative ways. I asked for a meeting with GM Tina
Pamintuan but she informed me this week that she is not available until early
September. She prefers the proposals in writing which I will do.

Make Your Voice Heard

If you have yet to do so, please write to General Manager Tina Pamintuan:
feedb...@kalw.org.

Please cc me at tangentsra...@gmail.com and at the emails below. The SFUSD
Board does not involve itself with KALW programming decisions but should
welcome community input as the owner of the station's license.

President Gabriela Lopez   gabrielalo...@sfusd.edu

Vice President Faauuga Moliga    faauugamol...@sfusd.edu

Commissioner Matt Alexander    mattalexan...@sfusd.edu

Commissioner Alison Collins    alisonmcoll...@sfusd.edu

Commissioner Jenny Lam   jenny...@sfusd.edu

Commissioner Mark Sanchez   marksanc...@sfusd.edu

Commissioner Kevine Boggess    kevinebogg...@sfusd.edu

Please also fill out the short KALW listener survey if you have yet to do so

Dedicated Music Blocks

KALW GM Tina Pamintuan has spoken in detail about the importance of "dedicated
music blocks" as exemplified by the new eclectic music format Mon-Fri evenings.
Theoretically, programs should flow into the next. I agree that vertical
program scheduling should have congruent appeal or the audience will leave.
However, attention to dedicated music blocks is disregarded with the new
Saturday evening schedule. I fear 6p-mid will become a listener graveyard. The
folk music block for many years ended with Bluegrass Signal flowing into
Tangents. Bluegrass Signal into Africa Mix will likely be a listening train
wreck. The banjo was born in West Africa but the commonality ends there.

Due to listener confusion, upset and misinformation I decided on the July 17
Tangents show to share key Tina comments made on the July 13 KALW public ZOOM
call. I also shared my perspective. You can listen to it here.

I will soon create a Tangents listener comment page that will post listener
letters and comments from the recent public KALW ZOOM chats. I clumped together
various chat comments from KALW listener Paul Michel below. He raised important
questions that as far as I know have not received adequate answers. The bold is
mine.

>From Paul Michael to Everyone:

 What are the measures of success or failure of the new programming? How will
you measure the success of the new programming?  Are you more concerned with
increasing the diversity of programming, DJs or listeners? How will you measure
new listeners? What if new listeners are not new donors? How much time will you
give for a new show to find an audience? I am a long time supporter, but I need
to reconsider if the new programming is not relevant for me. If the new shows
become popular, but offer programming that can be heard elsewhere, will you
continue with them or will you reinstate the shows that have eclectic
programming. What demographic are you trying to increase the most -younger
listeners or more ethnically diverse listeners? Do you have data that support
that there are young listeners of radio or other media in which KALW puts out
programming.

Will you sacrifice diversity of programming for diversity of DJs? I do not
believe the programming will become more diverse and I do believe that the new
programming will be less diverse than Tangents and more available elsewhere.

It will interesting to see if more diverse programmers will bring in more
diverse listeners. If the new programming is less diverse and more available
elsewhere, will you keep the new programming just for the diversity of
programmers? More important, if you gain a more diverse audience that listens
to more mainstream and available music, will you sacrifice programming
diversity?

Good News!

Allow me to share some good news. Really good news.

The only publication (digital or physical) that covers much of the Tangents
music universe is Songlines magazine based in London. I subscribe and have
known its outstanding team for many years. Songlines is the gold standard for
reading up on many of the artists played on Tangents. It also has an extensive
album review section in every issue. This week Songlines agreed to a trial 3
month media partnership with Tangents starting in August. I will become the
second music presenter it has signed. Music luminary Andy Kershaw was recently
announced as the first.

Tangents will also be expanding its presence in the digital world beyond the
one week KALW archive. I've chosen Mixcloud as the new internet radio home for
Tangents. The home is not ready yet but with the help of long time Tangential
tech guru Kent Howard, Tangents should be up and running on Mixcloud sooner
than later. More on this exciting development in future Tangents newsletters.

Noteworthy News

Howell/Devine Blues Band @ The Clarion in Chinatown Today, July 24, 2p; Join me
there. It's free.

Howell/Devine is one of my favorite blues bands on the planet. They are heavily
inspired by the North Mississippi hill country blues. Legends such as R.L.
Burnside and Mississippi Fred McDowell resound in their music.

Would love to see you this afternoon!

Outstanding rap video nails the Israeli/Palestinian Divide

Watch it and read A Rap Song Lays Bare Israel’s Jewish-Arab Fracture — and Goes
Viral

 Ice Cream news strikes Israel like a terrorist attack.

Israel's President: Ben & Jerry's Boycott Is Part of 'A New Form of Terrorism'

Prime Minister Naftali Bennett rebuked the company's decision, saying that the
company has decided to rebrand as an "antisemitic ice cream."

Israel’s UN Ambassador Gilad Erdan:  We view this decision very seriously as it
is the de facto adoption of antisemitic practices and advancement of the
delegitimization of the Jewish state and dehumanization of the Jewish people.

Haaretz columist Gideon Levy: Ice cream succeeded where the deaths of 67
children in Gaza failed – to remind Israelis of the occupation. Still, the
madness remains: The occupation is a victim, the only victim. It boggles the
mind that whenever someone dares remind Israelis that something is still wrong,
the issue immediately becomes how Israel is the victim.

The person who may be bummed out the most is former Prime Minister War Criminal
Benjamin Netanyahu. Bibi, known to be a voracious consumer of ice cream, once
had a $2,700-a-year* habit while prime minister.

*the state was also allocating NIS 10,000 annually (over $3,000) to keep the
prime minister supplied with vanilla and pistachio ice cream.

About 100 U.S. athletes in Tokyo unvaccinated as Covid-hit Olympics begin

I'll have some ice creamy tunes to start Tangents off tonight at 10p. Remember
Tangents is available for a week listen-on- demand at the KALW archive.

onward,

Dore

Privacy Policy/Terms of Use:

Folks on the Tangents email list receive email updates from from timeto time as
events dictate. Your information is not shared with anyone.

This email was sent to you because you either subscribed, asked to be on the
Tangents emaillist or emailed Tangents Radio.

To be removedor added to the Tangents email list send an email to
tangentsra...@gmail.com and put "unsubscribe" or "subscribe"in the subject
field. Or you can follow auto directions at the bottom of theemail for both
removal and subscribing.

www.tangents.com (includes links to Tangents playlists)

Tangents Sat nights 10p-mid; streamed @ kalw.org, 91.7fm, SF; archived for a
week at KALW
Also airs on Multicult.fm Monday nights 10p-1a (Berlin time) and Lisbon's
CBFWebRadio.com.
To be in the loop for future Tangents Greece Music Tours, email
tangentsgreecet...@gmail.com

Transglobal panel member

em: tangentsra...@gmail.com; (415) 841-4134 (Studio: Sat. 10p-mid)

Music announcements posted at Tangents Radio page on Facebook and @Tangents
Radio on Twitter (must request to follow)

Dore Stein/Tangents Radio
301 Gambier St.
San Francisco CA  94134-1341 USA