Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually
any convenient occasion.  I do it while taking my daily (more or less) 3 mile
walk, while I’m “plodding along”.

While there are thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, of great podcasts from
other sources, the ones sponsored via public radio have been vetted through the
worthy objectives of the medium.

Here’s what I’ve been listening to recently.  I hope you might find these
suggestions — in roughly 90 minute bites -- helpful in enhancing your own
enjoyment of radio, our favorite medium.

__ __

“Political Podcasts: Who’s Listening?”
THE MEDIA SHOW - BBC Radio 4
What's behind the glut of politics podcasts? Hardly a month goes by without a
new title being launched, competing with established brands like The New York
Times’s The Daily and the wildly popular The Rest is Politics with Alastair
Campbell and Rory Stewart. We talk to the team behind the latter about the
secrets of its success, and the opportunities for journalists who want to break
free of the strictures of traditional broadcasting. We also consider their
appeal to politicians and reflect on the dominance of the medium by middle aged
men. Plus we ask how much influence these platforms ultimately have. Also in
the programme, we look at the row engulfing The Washington Post's new British
CEO Will Lewis.
Guests: Baroness Ruth Davidson, Co-presenter, Electoral Dysfunction; Lewis
Goodall, Co-host, The News Agents; Tony Pastor, Co-Founder, Goalhanger
Podcasts; Adam Fleming, Presenter, Newscast; Nick Hilton, Co-founder, Podot;
Vivian Schiller, Executive Director, Aspen Digital. (58”)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00208g8

“China is in trouble - and New Zealand should look to Japan for a way out of
its reliance on it, a geopolitical expert says.”
30 WITH  GUYON ESPINER -  RNZ National/RNZ Pacific
The implication of China's collapse as a viable global economic power,
according to Peter Zeihan, is huge losses to New Zealand's export market.
Zeihan is the author of New York Times bestseller 'The End of the World is Just
Beginning'.
He has warned that globalisation as we know it is in its twilight years, with
the US becoming increasingly isolationist and pulling back from its post-war
role in policing global trades routes. (32”)
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/world/519988/why-new-zealand-needs-to-prepare-now-for-a-future-in-a-world-without-china

— —

A compendium of these suggestions, plus on occasion additional pertinent
material, is published every other month in the CIDX Messenger, the monthly
e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further
information and membership information, go to www.cidxclub.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
NEW!!!!  11th EDITION now available from universal-radio.com, amazon.com.
amazon.co.uk, amazon.de, amazon.com.au