Podcasts permit a shift of listening time from a set appointment to virtually
any convenient occasion.  I do it while taking my daily (more or less) 3 mile
walk, while I’m “plodding along”.

While there are thousands, perhaps tens of thousands, of great podcasts from
other sources, the ones sponsored via public radio have been vetted through the
worthy objectives of the medium.

Here’s what I’ve been listening to recently.  I hope you might find these
suggestions — in roughly 90 minute bites -- helpful in enhancing your own
enjoyment of radio, our favorite medium.

__ __

[Ed. Note:  BBC Radio 4 does something NPR should emulate.  It has a program
that answers listeners questions about Radio 4’s programming decisions and
presentations.  Here’s this week’s program.]
FEEDBACK - BBC Radio 4
Four weeks into the UK election campaign, Andrea Catherwood discusses
interruptions and impartiality in political interviews with Today presenter
Nick Robinson and the BBC's Director of Journalism, Jonathan Munro.
Also, we take a dystopian deep dive into Radio 4's Orwell v Kafka weekend. In
all, 10 hours of the network's weekend schedule were given over to the two
authors - including readings of George Orwell's 1984, a dramatisation of Franz
Kafka's The Trial and six half hour discussions hosted by Ian Hislop and Helen
Lewis. It was loved by many of you, but was a Kafkaesque/Orwellian nightmare
for others. Andrea and Matthew Dodd, Radio 4's Commissioning Editor for Arts,
discuss the thinking behind the idea at the foot of Orwell's statue outside
Broadcasting House.
And after the tragic death of Dr Michael Mosley, we hear Feedback listeners'
tributes to a broadcaster who changed the lives of millions. (28”)
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0020971

“What space travel tells us about aging (and other topics)”
HEALTH REPORT -  ABC RN (Radio National)
Take a look at changing teaching methods in the classroom, and why that matters
for future health.
Australian researchers are developing a new drug to fight the potentially
deadly condition of sepsis.
Could a common drug be used to treat macular degeneration?
And what effect does space travel have on ageing?  (45”)
https://www.abc.net.au/listen/programs/healthreport/space-age-phonics-covid-bmj-macular-degeneration-sepsis/103892606

— —

A compendium of these suggestions, plus on occasion additional pertinent
material, is published every other month in the CIDX Messenger, the monthly
e-newsletter of the Canadian International DX Club (CIDX).  For further
information and membership information, go to www.cidxclub.ca

John Figliozzi
Editor, "The Worldwide Listening Guide”
NEW!!!!  11th EDITION now available from universal-radio.com, amazon.com.
amazon.co.uk, amazon.de, amazon.com.au