Call for Papers

"Pluralism, Inclusion and Citizenship"
3rd Global Conference
Interdisciplinary.Net
Salzburg (Austria)
16-18 November 2007

With this inter- and multi-disciplinary project we seek to explore the
new developments and changes of the idea of pluralism and the
implications those have for social and political processes of
inclusion and citizenship in contemporary societies. The project will
also assess the larger context of major world transformations, for
example, new forms of migration and the massive movements of people
across the globe, as well as the impact and contribution of
globalisation on tensions, conflicts and the sense of acceptance,
rootedness and membership. Looking to encourage innovative
trans-disciplinary dialogues, we warmly welcome papers from all
disciplines, professions and vocations which struggle to understand
what it means for people, the world over, to be a citizen in rapidly
changing national, social and political contexts.

In particular papers, workshops and presentations are invited on any
of the following themes:

1. Challenging Old Concepts of Citizen and Alien
* Who is a citizen and who is an alien, a foreigner?
* The new value of political pluralism and cultural multiplicity;
breaking with homogeneity and sameness
* What is the place of difference and alterity in defining membership
and citizenship?
* How to account for political membership and identity?
* Making sense of transformations and their effects over citizenship
identity and membership
* Othering, marginalising, excluding, stygmatising

2. Nations, Fluid Boundaries and Citizenship
* What does it mean, today, to belong to a nation?
* New migrants, new migratory flows and massive movements from
peripheral to central countries
* Resurgence of the local and the diminishing importance of the national
* Are we living post-national realities?
* What is the place of economic and cultural claims in today’s forms
of political membership?
* Assimilation, integration, adaptation and other forms of placing the
responsibility of change on migrants

3. Institutions, Organizations and Social Movements
* Evaluating the promises and institutions of post-national governing
* What happened to the rights of migrants and displaced peoples?
* Political battles over globalization and the forging of global
citizenship
* Social movements, new rebellion and alternative global politics
* Trans-national connections that escape institutional and political
control
* New forms of global exclusion

4. Persons, Personhood and the Inter-Personal
* De-nationalising citizenship and the making of a global citizen
* Tensions, contradictions and conflicts of citizenship formations and
political membership
* New sources and forms of political participation; new localism,
parochialism and communitarianism
* Bonds of care across boundaries of inequality and exclusion,
ideologies and religions, politics and power, nations and geography
* Thinking and acting with foreigners and migrants in mind
* Citizens acknowledging the fundamental role of migrants; making
migration personal and interpersonal

5. Media and Artistic Representations
* The role of new and old media in the construction of political
membership, of nations and citizens
* Production and reproduction of political and citizen typing and
stereotyping
* The contested space of representing politics, national identity and
membership
* Art, media and how to challenge the rigid and impenetrable
constructions of political culture
* Living, being and exercising membership through art
* Political life imitating art and fiction

6. Transnational Political Interlacing of Contemporary Life
* What is shared from political cultures? How are political cultures
shared? Who has access to the sharing of political cultures?
* Human rights, migration and massive displacements of people
* Living in a context with the political markers of a different
context: Is that political trans-culturalism?
* Languages, idioms and new emerging forms of wanting to bridge the
‘invisible’ divide between political cultures
* Symbols and significations that connect people to places other than
‘their own’
* Politics, identity and belonging by choice

7. New Concepts, New Forms of Inclusion
* Recognition and respect without marginality
* An ethics for social and political relations in a new millennium
* What to do with historically old concepts like tolerance, acceptance
and hospitality?
* Should not we all be strangers? Should not we all be foreigners?
* Is there any use for cosmopolitanism these days?
* Embracing the alien within the citizen; building fluid boundaries of
membership and political participation

Papers will be considered on any related theme. 300 word abstracts
should be submitted by Friday 10th August 2007. If your paper is
accepted for presentation at the conference, an 8 page draft paper
should be submitted by Friday 19th October 2007.

300 word abstracts should be submitted to both Organising Chairs;
abstracts may be in Word, WordPerfect, or RTF formats, following this
order: author(s), affiliation, email address, title of abstract, body
of abstract. We acknowledge receipt and answer to all paper proposals
submitted. If you do not receive a reply from us in a week you should
assume we did not receive your proposal; it might be lost in
cyberspace! We suggest, then, to look for an alternative electronic
route or resend.
Joint Organising Chairs

Alejandro Cervantes-Carson
Research & Project Development Director,
Inter-Disciplinary.Net,
Barcelona, Catalunya,
Spain
E-Mail: a...@inter-disciplinary.net

Rob Fisher
Network Leader
Inter-Disciplinary.Net
Freeland, Oxfordshire OX29 8HR
Email: p...@inter-disciplinary.net

The conference is part of the ‘Diversity and Recognition’ research
projects, which in turn belong to the ‘At the Interface’ programmes of
ID.Net. It aims to bring together people from different areas and
interests to share ideas and explore various discussions which are
innovative and challenging. All papers accepted for and presented at
this conference are eligible for publication in an ISBN eBook.
Selected papers will be developed for publication in a themed hard
copy volume.

For further details about the project please visit:
http://www.inter-disciplinary.net/ati/diversity/pluralism/pluralism.htm

For further details about the conference please visit:
http://www.inter-disciplinary.net/ati/diversity/pluralism/pl3/cfp.html

http://interphil.polylog.org

Intercultural Philosophy Calendar:
http://cal.polylog.org