Location: Lawrence, KS (USA)
Date: 3.–4.4.2014
Deadline: 6.12.2013

This conference offers a venue to critically examine the
interrelationship of "the human," human rights, and the purview of
the humanities – interpreting human expression. We welcome papers
from undergraduate and graduate students in the humanities and social
sciences that explore topics including, but not limited to, the
following:

- What are the benefits and limits to a notion of universal human
  rights?
- Are there notions of being human that are not encapsulated by a
  human rights framework?
- How do artists and writers engage or critique notions of human
  rights?
- What can we learn about the human experience, and, potentially
  human rights, from a speculative vantage point, such as that of
  science fiction?
- How do disciplines that challenge normative parameters of human
  experience such as Queer Studies, Disability Studies, or Animal
  Studies enrich and/ or complicate notions of human rights?

Please submit 250 word paper abstracts to Dr. Marike Janzen,
mjan...@ku.edu, by December 6, 2013.

Contact:

Dr. Marike Janzen
University of Kansas
Humanities and Western Civilization Program
Bailey Hall
1440 Jayhawk Blvd., Room 308
Lawrence, KS 66045
USA