Location: Toronto, ON (Canada)
Date: 30.–31.1.2014
Deadline: 18.11.2013

Established in 2008 our Annual Graduate Research Conference has grown
into the premier forum for graduate students in the field of ethnic
studies to come and present their work. We attract a great number of
proposals from various universities, not just in Canada but also the
United States, Europe and even Asia.

The main purpose of our conference is to provide graduate students
with an opportunity to present their work in a professional yet
convivial atmosphere in preparation for more formal settings.

Every year we are very fortunate to have a dedicated group of
graduate faculty members who serve as discussants, and prepare
thorough and insightful comments for each paper submitted. Our
conference thus provides valuable feedback to those seeking
publication of their research.

The conference is organized with the help of a committee of students
from the Collaborative Program in Ethnic and Pluralism Studies. These
students are often themselves presenters at the conference, and also
serve as session chairs and timekeepers.

We also invite some of the most prominent and exciting scholars in
ethnicity to be our keynote speaker on the first day of the
conference. In 2014, we will feature Barrington Walker (Queen’s
University).

Submissions

Participation of all graduate student research is welcomed. Past
presentations have featured course papers by Master’s level students,
works at different stages of doctoral research, as well as ongoing
studies by recent graduates.

Presentation topics

Presentation topics can be in any area related to the mandate of the
Ethnic and Pluralism Studies Program, including ethnic and race
relations, international migration and immigration, cultural and
linguistic communities, inter-group dynamics, nationalist movements,
aboriginal affairs, and human rights.

With the length of the final paper set at approximately 20 pages,
each presenter will have 15-20 minutes to make their presentations.
PowerPoint slides are not mandatory but strongly recommended.

To submit your proposal

Please read carefully the instructions below in order to fill out all
the fields of the online proposal submission form.

- E-mail: make sure to enter your correct address so you can receive
  a confirmation e-mail for your proposal submission.
- Name: provide your full name as you would like it to appear on the
  program.
- Affiliation: provide your university and department affiliations,
  and indicate your current degree program (Master’s or Doctoral). If
  you have already graduated, you may provide your current affiliation
  in the “Other” field.
- Title: this can be a working title, and minor modifications will be
  accepted when you submit your final paper.
  could become the title of the thematic session your paper will be
  placed in, such as “Media”, “Education”, or “Migrant Workers”. (For
  more session titles and possible keywords, please refer to past
  conference programs posted below).
- Scheduling requests: you should be available to present on either
  January 30th or 31st. If you do have special requests regarding
  scheduling, you may indicate them, but we cannot guarantee that they
  will be accommodated.
- Abstract of paper: your abstract should be specific enough to give
  us a good idea of the final paper. The length should be up to 300
  words.

Online Proposal Form:
http://www.harneyconference.ca/proposal.cfm

Important deadlines

- The deadline for proposal submission is Monday November 18, 2013
  (the online form will be no longer available after midnight).
- We will notify all those who submitted a proposal regarding the
  results of the evaluation process by Monday November 25, 2013.
- The deadline for the final papers is Monday January 13, 2014

If you have any questions please contact the Harney Program
Administrator: ethnic.stud...@utoronto.ca

Conference website:
http://munkschool.utoronto.ca/ethnicstudies/graduate-conference/

http://interphil.polylog.org