Location: Auckland (New Zealand)
Date: 25.–28.11.2014
Deadline: 1.4.2014

The 6th Biennial Ngā Pae o te Māramatanga conference will highlight
indigeneity and the multidisciplinary approach used for indigenous
development. The conference welcomes both oral and poster
presentations. All oral presentations will be 20 mins, plus 5 mins
for questions.

Conference Themes

Presentations and papers must address aspects of one of the following
themes central to the realisation of indigenous development:

- Optimising Indigenous Economic Wellbeing:
  addressing issues, needs and opportunities arising in indigenous
  communities leading to increased economic independence and
  self-determination.

- Healthy and Thriving Indigenous Families:
  addressing issues, needs and opportunities arising in indigenous
  families leading to healthy, successful and thriving indigenous
  families.

- Enhancing Indigenous Distinctiveness:
  understanding the distinctive contributions that indigenous
  communities – people, knowledge, assets, resources – do and may yet
  make to the world. Opportunities for development that may not be
  sourced from any other community or population.

Underpinning the above themes are the following outcomes, all
presentations are to include one or more of the following critical
aspects:

- Embracing Indigenous Worldviews and Knowledge Creation:
  the development of indigenous approaches to and methodologies of
  knowledge creation, exploring indigenous worldviews and
  understanding the contribution of these approaches to world
  knowledge.

- Furthering Excellent Indigenous Research Capability:
  What is the nature of the indigenous research capability? How is
  this achieved? How can we harness new technologies? What do we mean
  by excellence in indigenous research capability? Do any current
  models exist? What models exist in the histories of indigenous
  communities?

- Indigenous Action Taking and Transformation:
  What is the ‘bridge’ between indigenous development research and
  positive change in our communities? How can we ensure that the
  outcomes and benefits of our research do get into the hands of those
  who can make change in our communities? How is positive change
  achieved through our research?

Submitting an Abstract

Please submit an Abstract (max 200 words) for either an oral or poster
presentation by completing the Abstract Submission Form at:
http://www.indigenousdevelopment2014.ac.nz/abstract-submissions

Guidelines for abstract submission and presentations can be found on
the conference website: http://www.indigenousdevelopment2014.ac.nz
All Abstracts will be assessed by the Conference Abstract Committee.

There is potential for a limited number of panel presentations, please
contact us as soon as possible if you are interested in convening a
panel. There will be a published, reviewed conference proceedings and
all accepted authors will be invited to submit their full paper to
the conference proceedings.

Important Dates

Abstract Submission open: February 2014
Abstracts Submission close: 1 April 2014
Notification of Abstract Outcome: 16 June

Proceedings Submissions open: 1 July 2014
Proceedings Submission close: 1 October 2014

Registrations Open: February 2014
Early bird registration deadline: 4 July 2014

Contact:

Ngā Pae o te Māramatanga
Rehutai Building
University of Auckland