Location: Innsbruck (Austria)
Date: 22.–25.9.2014

From 22th to 25th September the conference »Culture and Its
Discontents« will take place at Innsbruck University. Our aim in
organising this conference is twofold: on the one hand, we want to
reflect on the term ›culture‹ as such. What meanings does it have? Is
there a way of propping up alternative interpretations that diverge
from its common meanings – such as culture as a singular practice, as
an act, as a technique or as a product? On the other hand, we will
discuss the term's strengths and weaknesses. When does it work well
for describing social and environmental processes? Do we need other
terms and if so, when do we need them?

Speakers:
Iman Attia (Berlin), Terry Eagleton (Lancaster, Dublin), Kien Nghi Ha
(Berlin), Chris Hann (Halle), Ulf Hannerz (Stockholm), Wolfgang F.
Haug (Berlin), Wolfgang Kaschuba (Berlin), Ulrich Ladurner (Die
Zeit/Hamburg), Carola Lentz (Mainz), Siegfried J. Schmidt (Münster),
John Storey (Sunderland), Jürgen Wertheimer(Tübingen), Peter V. Zima
(Klagenfurt).

The conference will take place in the Assembly Hall (main building,
Campus Innrain) at the University of Innsbruck. We will provide
simultaneous translation of German presentations into English.
Participation at the conference is free. We are kindly asking for
your binding registration no later than Sept. 1st 2014 by email to
Stefanie Blasy (stefanie.bl...@student.uibk.ac.at).

Contact:

Univ.-Prof. Dr. Martin Sexl
Institut für Sprachen und Literaturen