Location: London (United Kingdom)
Date: 1.–2.9.2016
Deadline: 28.2.2016

Background

The landscape of social welfare has changed markedly since the
financial crisis of 2008 – especially where governments, as in Europe
and elsewhere, have actively pursued an austerity agenda. This raises
stark ethical challenges, concerning how best to manage the impacts
both of cuts themselves, and of ideological shifts to the priorities
of the public sector and the wider public sphere. At the same time,
global inequalities, sharp increases in numbers of refugees and in
the migration of workers in care and domestic labour, remind us of
the need for a global perspective.  But how should we approach those
challenges from an ethical point of view? To what extent does the
landscape of values remain the same, even amid shifts in economic and
political circumstances?  What responsibilities does society have for
the welfare of the most vulnerable, here and elsewhere?  How much
does it matter who delivers services to the most vulnerable in
society, and on what terms, as long as their needs are met?  And to
what extent do ethical priorities differ, in hard times?

This international conference aims to attract academics,
practitioners, commentators, activists, service-users and others with
an interest in the relationship between ethics, social justice and
relevant arenas of contemporary policy and practice.  Its audience
will be cross-disciplinary, from social work and social policy
through to philosophy, politics and sociology.  We welcome
contributions addressing social, political and moral theory,
alongside empirical studies of the impacts of austerity – but in both
respects, with a focus on the application of key ideas and values in
social justice to issues of pressing practical concern. We are keen
to include papers exploring the international dimension of these
issues of care – in light, for example, of the current migrant crisis
and of the pursuit of austerity economics across Europe and beyond.
And we place a particular priority on attention to voices seldom
heard in the mainstream of debate on these issues – and among
academics, on the inclusion of early career researchers alongside
their well-established peers.

Keynote speakers

- Eva Feder Kittay (Stony Brook University)
- Andrew Sayer (Lancaster University)
- Sue White (University of Birmingham)

Issues and themes

- Social welfare and theories of equality
- Personalisation and structural inequality
- Global interdependencies
- Fairness in theory and practice
- Private sector provision and social justice
- Impacts of income inequality
- Care and/vs. justice
- Redistribution and recognition
- The contemporary relevance of traditional ethical theories
- Neoliberalism and its alternatives
- Inclusion and participation
- Hearing marginalized voices
- Charity and/vs. justice
- The ethical responsibilities of the rich

... with a focus on ethical practice in relation to, for example:

- Class
- Gender
- Race and ethnicity
- Religious diversity
- Disability
- Sexuality
- Poverty
- Migration
- The market as service provider
- Children and young people
- Older people
- Families
- Healthcare
- The hardest hit by cuts
- Future generations

This is an indicative, non-exhaustive list. We expect and welcome a
wide range of questions, focal points, and modes of debate.

Venue

Friends House, 173-177 Euston Road

Proposals

We welcome proposals of papers (300 words) and panels of 3 papers
(including a title, 100-word description, plus paper outlines).
Deadline: 28 February 2016.

Please send submissions to the email address below, and insert the
word 'SUBMISSION' at the beginning of the subject line.

Registration

This will open in June 2016, with a non-residential fee expected to
be £100, plus optional conference dinner on 1 September.

A limited number of subsidised places will be available for
postgraduate students and those without institutional financial
support.

Proposals and queries to: 2016...@gmail.com

Website of Ethics and Social Welfare:
http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/resw20