On 11/04/2015 04:08 PM, Alex Williamson wrote:
On Wed, 2015-11-04 at 12:24 -0500, Laine Stump wrote:
Last week I upgraded my Fedora 22 AMD 990FX system from kernel 4.1.10 to
4.2.3 (standard Fedora builds) and multiple devices stopped working:

* 00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] SBx00
Azalia (Intel HDA) (rev 40)

* 02:00.[01] Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82576 Gigabit
Network Connection

* 01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cedar
HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5400/6300 Series]

(The 1st is integrated on the motherboard, the 2nd & 3rd are behind an
AMD RD890 pci-pci bridge. There may be other devices failing, but these
are the ones immediately obvious.)

Whatever is the source of the failure, it ends up that the drivers for
these devices aren't loaded.

At Alex Williamson's suggestion, I tried disabling IOMMU in the BIOS,
and magically all the devices resumed normal operation (except that I
can't do vfio device assignment because the IOMMU is disabled).

Reverting to kernel 4.1.10 very definitely eliminates the problem. I've
also tried kernel 4.2.5 and it has the same problem as 4.2.3 (these
three are the only pre-built kernels for F22). I can provide dmesg /
lspci output from each of these, or any other debug info anyone might
like me to gather.

I built a 4.2.3 kernel for my 990fx system and can't seem to reproduce
it.  Does 'lspci -k' for those devices show any driver?  Does 'lsmod'
show the drivers loaded, igb and snd_hda_intel?  If not, does manually
modprobe'ing either of those drivers change anything?  You haven't
installed a script that writes to driver_override or setup a
configuration where those devices are claimed by pci-stub and forgotten
about it, have you? (it's happened to me)  Otherwise, dmesg is probably
a good place to start.  Thanks,

Alex

I'm also running one of these with a 4.2.5 kernel with no IOMMU issues.

mark