On Sat, 2019-06-08 at 09:27 +0200, h...@lst.de wrote:
> Just curious, what exactly is the use case?  Explaining how someone
> would wan to use this should drive the way we design an interface for it.

Makes sense.

Some example use cases:
1. Assume an SR-IOV device and if the admin decides to use some VF's natively
(i.e. they are available only to host) and he wants them to be high performing
and also believes that his OS is secure enough (so decides to by pass IOMMU).

Presently, we don't support this use case because "iommu=pt" kernel command
line argument is an all or none feature i.e. either all BDF's are translated
through IOMMU or none. So, we would like to propose a per-BDF on/off feature.

We would also want it to be run-time (i.e. sysfs based interface) rather than
just boot-time interface (kernel command line argument).

Also, want to be clear that it's not just SR-IOV devices that we are looking
at but could be any unrelated PCIe devices i.e. a SATA device, USB, NIC or
GFx. Wherein the admin wants to selectively put NIC and GFx through IOMMU and
does not want transactions by SATA and USB to be translated by IOMMU.

Regards,
Sai