Hi Jason,
On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 14:01:13 -0300, Jason Gunthorpe <j...@nvidia.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 09:33:43AM -0700, Raj, Ashok wrote:

> > > What a weird term.
> >
> > Glad you noticed it at v7 :-)
> >
> > Any suggestions on something less weird than
> > Shared Virtual Addressing? There is a reason why we moved from SVM
> > to SVA.
>
> SVA is fine, what is "bare metal" supposed to mean?

What I meant here is sharing virtual address between DMA and host
process. This requires devices perform DMA request with PASID and use
IOMMU first level/stage 1 page tables.
This can be further divided into 1) user SVA 2) supervisor SVA (sharing
init_mm)

My point is that /dev/sva is not useful here since the driver can
perform PASID allocation while doing SVA bind.

> PASID is about constructing an arbitary DMA IOVA map for PCI-E
> devices, being able to intercept device DMA faults, etc.

An arbitrary IOVA map does not need PASID. In IOVA, you do map/unmap
explicitly, why you need to handle IO page fault?

To me, PASID identifies an address space that is associated with a
mm_struct.

> SVA is doing DMA IOVA 1:1 with the mm_struct CPU VA. DMA faults
> trigger the same thing as CPU page faults. If is it not 1:1 then there
> is no "shared". When SVA is done using PCI-E PASID it is "PASID for
> SVA". Lots of existing devices already have SVA without PASID or
> IOMMU, so lets not muddy the terminology.

I agree. This conversation is about "PASID for SVA" not "SVA without
PASID"

> vPASID/vIOMMU is allowing a guest to control the DMA IOVA map and
> manipulate the PASIDs.
>
> vSVA is when a guest uses a vPASID to provide SVA, not sure this is
> an informative term.

I agree.

> This particular patch series seems to be about vPASID/vIOMMU for
> vfio-mdev vs the other vPASID/vIOMMU patch which was about vPASID for
> vfio-pci.

Yi can correct me but this set is is about VFIO-PCI, VFIO-mdev will be
introduced later.

> > > You've missed the entire point of the conversation, VDPA already
> > > needs more than "my current mm is bound to a device"
> >
> > You mean current version of vDPA? or a potential future version of
> > vDPA?
>
> Future VDPA drivers, it was made clear this was important to Intel
> during the argument about VDPA as a mdev.
>
> Jason

Thanks,

Jacob