Hi Jason,
On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 15:38:41 -0300, Jason Gunthorpe <j...@nvidia.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 11:21:10AM -0700, Jacob Pan (Jun) wrote:
> > Hi Jason,
> > On Wed, 16 Sep 2020 14:01:13 -0300, Jason Gunthorpe <j...@nvidia.com>
> > wrote:

> > > SVA is fine, what is "bare metal" supposed to mean?
> > >
> > What I meant here is sharing virtual address between DMA and host
> > process. This requires devices perform DMA request with PASID and
> > use IOMMU first level/stage 1 page tables.
> > This can be further divided into 1) user SVA 2) supervisor SVA
> > (sharing init_mm)
> >
> > My point is that /dev/sva is not useful here since the driver can
> > perform PASID allocation while doing SVA bind.
>
> No, you are thinking too small.
>
> Look at VDPA, it has a SVA uAPI. Some HW might use PASID for the SVA.

Could you point to me the SVA UAPI? I couldn't find it in the mainline.
Seems VDPA uses VHOST interface?

> When VDPA is used by DPDK it makes sense that the PASID will be SVA
> and 1:1 with the mm_struct.

I still don't see why bare metal DPDK needs to get a handle of the
PASID. Perhaps the SVA patch would explain. Or are you talking about
vDPA DPDK process that is used to support virtio-net-pmd in the guest?

> When VDPA is used by qemu it makes sense that the PASID will be an
> arbitary IOVA map constructed to be 1:1 with the guest vCPU physical
> map. /dev/sva allows a single uAPI to do this kind of setup, and qemu
> can support it while supporting a range of SVA kernel drivers. VDPA
> and vfio-mdev are obvious initial targets.
>
> *BOTH* are needed.
>
> In general any uAPI for PASID should have the option to use either the
> mm_struct SVA PASID *OR* a PASID from /dev/sva. It costs virtually
> nothing to implement this in the driver as PASID is just a number, and
> gives so much more flexability.

Not really nothing in terms of PASID life cycles. For example, if user
uses uacce interface to open an accelerator, it gets an FD_acc. Then it
opens /dev/sva to allocate PASID then get another FD_pasid. Then we
pass FD_pasid to the driver to bind page tables, perhaps multiple
drivers. Now we have to worry about If FD_pasid gets closed before
FD_acc(s) closed and all these race conditions.

If we do not expose FD_pasid to the user, the teardown is much simpler
and streamlined. Following each FD_acc close, PASID unbind is performed.

> > Yi can correct me but this set is is about VFIO-PCI, VFIO-mdev will
> > be introduced later.
>
> Last patch is:
>
>   vfio/type1: Add vSVA support for IOMMU-backed mdevs
>
> So pretty hard to see how this is not about vfio-mdev, at least a
> little..
>
> Jason

Thanks,

Jacob