I had the same problem, and I did notice something funny going on with the 
keycodes (don't remember 
exactly what at it was a while ago). I managed to fix it by forcing Apple's X11 
to use a proper keyboard 
map by going into /Applications/Utilities/X11.app/Contents/MacOS, moving the 
X11 binary to X11.old, 
and then writing a new X11 as follows:

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/ssh-agent $(dirname $0)/X11.old -keymap 
/Library/Keyboards/USA.keymapping $*

(I think you can set the keyboard mapping using X11.apps defaults mechanism but 
I did it this way 
because I wanted to use ssh-agent too.)

That should probably do it, but I also wanted Alt/Option to work as Alt for 
Gnome apps, readline etc, and
the Command/Apple key to work as the main Ion modifier key - I eventually 
settled on this .Xmodmap:

keycode 63 = Alt_L
keycode 66 = Meta_L
keycode 59 = BackSpace
keycode 125 = Delete
clear mod1
clear mod2
add mod1 = Meta_L Mode_switch
add mod2 = Alt_L

Note that 63 is actually the Command key, and 66 is the Alt/Option key, at 
least on my Powerbook's 
keyboard. Then I set my ion_cfg.lua to contain

META="Mod2+"

That seemed to do the trick - I was able to set bindings to use the arrow keys 
to switch between Ion 
frames and also to navigate Ion's menus.

Be aware, however, that the .keymapping files are no longer distributed with 
later version of Mac OS X so 
you might have to root around for one.

btw, I also tried using the xorg server that's currently in Fink (6.8.2) and it 
was deeply confused about
the keyboard: the Alt, Command, and arrow keys didn't work in some 
combinations, not even
showing up in xev. Didn't have time to mess around with it so went back to 
Apple's X11.

- samer

Reply via email to