> Keeping the bottom 24 bits fixed at an initial random value, or
> changing them less frequently than the upper 40, would cut down the
> number of multicast groups joined.

.. but make it easier to correlate multiple connections from the same
host.  Unless there are a *lot* of nodes on a link, most nodes will
have unique 24-bit values.  I don't see this as being noticeably
different from the "keep the same anon address for a while" model.

On the other hand, if the mapping function from node id -> ND
multicast address involved a "secret" per-link parameter, this sort of
correlation would be much harder.  But I suspect that this isn't a can
of worms we want to open..

                                        - Bill