Robert Elz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> To: Jeroen Massar
>     From:        "Jeroen Massar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<SNIP>
> The supposed justification for those things is for accessing things
that
> aren't web sites but just happen to use http as a config
> tool, and similar.
Ah.... I usually simply throw those into dns also... I hate remembering
IP's :)
Actually I remember only the IP of some shellboxes which should always
work
that way I can always ssh in and use the tools there to do the
resolving...

>   | And it surely 'saves' the surfing crowd from the IP hassle...
>
> It isn't the hassle - it is that if these things work, they will get
> embedded in web pages.   Perhaps by some web page designer who has
> calculated that their web pages load 70ms faster (avoiding 3 or 4 DNS
> lookups) when embedded addresses are used.
They should learn those 'webdesigners' to use .. in url's ;)

> But that then makes it almost impossible to ever change those
addresses,
> if you fear that some other site might have links to your web pages
> using numeric addresses, and you want to keep attracting
> visitors, rather than discouraging them, then you have to keep the
same address forever.
On another note.... though that's probably more userspace related...

Scenario:
Company has a webserver with 1 nic in it... they use rtsols to get a
route and do a nice autoconfig.
The nic in the webserver dies (made in holland blabla ;) and they
exchange it with a new one.
Because of the new nic the IPv6 autoconfigged address changes and thus
alongside the downtime because
of the nic-brokage they now also have DNS downtime (till TTL)...

Wouldn't it be nice to have a script or other defacto functionality
which would then get the EUI-64 part from a database/file/setting/...
and then using the prefix it gets from the rtsol to config an alias IP
for the webserver.
This so the DNS can contain the IP address of the webserver say
f00:b44::80 (which takes care of the nic-breaking problem).

Point of problem: The prefix changes, admins know it and start updating
the dns, the machine is notified with router announcements and the
autoconfigged address (the real EUI-64 enabled one) automagically gets
enabled, the old one goes away
when it's TTL expires... The f00:b44::80 IP though doesn't get notified
yet...

What this would need (and haven't found in the most common IPv6 stack
implementations, unless something like this would need to be hacked in)
is somekind of notify of rtsols, or a facility where one can specify
which EUI-64 part a host should also bind too
as an alias... yup I am preferring the EUI-64 address instead of this
'virtual' one...

> Note: I don't mind as much if "numeric URLs" work when some user types
> them into a locator box - that's much less of a problem.  Where they
> really must not work, is when they're extracted from HTML.
> (Of course, typically, one parser will handle all cases, so breaking
them for one breaks them for all.)
IE handles URL's with the dll wininet.dll, as the functionality of the
numberic URL's have been taken out from there
any program using wininet.dll (for instance WinAmp and Cam32) don't
support it anymore either...
So maybe in this case the parser (mshtml.dll :) still does know about
the numberic stuff ? :)

Greets,
 Jeroen