> The real question how one processes a datagram with a routing header when
> the forwarding of routing headers has been disabled.  This issue is not
> mentioned in the specification (one could argue it should not be).

Agreed.

> The options basically are:
>
>  1) ignore the routing header, that is, act like segments left would have
> been = 0
>  2) drop the packet silently
>  3) drop the packet and send back an ICMP message
>     - with some already defined type/code
>     - with some new type/code

Some food for thought:

Taking Steve Deering's suggestion into account there seems to be 3 knobs
that a node should have:
1. forwarding (or not) packets no explicitly addressed to itself
   (i.e. is the node a router or not)
2. forwarding (or not) packets with RH where the next hop is outside the
   node
3. forwarding (or not) packets with a RM where the next hop is the same node

For MIPv6 we need knob 3 to be on by default on the MN.

For #1: when a host receives a packet not explicitly addressed to itself
it must silently drop it.

For #2 I don't see anything in RFC 2460 or the icmpv6 draft about sending
ICMP error vs. silently dropping.

  Erik