In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Brian E Carpenter writes:
>Indeed. All of this is the same for the DSCP actually, and the
>assumption is that operators will protect themselves with
>admission control.
>
>(See sections 7.1 of RFC 2474 and 6.1 of RFC 2475 for detailed discussion)

Right.  The question now is how to do that.  I was about to agree
strongly with the "must send as zero if not a flow, routers must not modify"
until I started thinking along these lines.  What should a border
router do with a packet that doesn't meet its constraints?  I only see
three choices:  reset the flow label to something locally acceptable,
drop the packet, or tunnel.  But dropping the packet means that flow
labels can only be used for flows that stay within a particular flow
label domain, and the tunneling path leads to madness.  (Well, perhaps
to MPLS, but I don't think we want to go down that rathole now.)  I'm
forced to conclude that we have two choices:  either we give up on flow
labels entirely, or we permit them to be modified en route.

                Full text of "Firewalls" book now at http://www.wilyhacker.com