Steven M. Bellovin writes:
 > In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Brian E Carpenter writes:
 > >Indeed. All of this is the same for the DSCP actually, and the
 > >assumption is that operators will protect themselves with
 > >admission control.
 > >
 > >(See sections 7.1 of RFC 2474 and 6.1 of RFC 2475 for detailed discussion)
 > >

 > Right.  The question now is how to do that.  I was about to agree
 > strongly with the "must send as zero if not a flow, routers must not modify"
 > until I started thinking along these lines.  What should a border
 > router do with a packet that doesn't meet its constraints?  I only see
 > three choices:  reset the flow label to something locally acceptable,
 > drop the packet, or tunnel.  But dropping the packet means that flow
 > labels can only be used for flows that stay within a particular flow
 > label domain, and the tunneling path leads to madness.  (Well, perhaps
 > to MPLS, but I don't think we want to go down that rathole now.)  I'm
 > forced to conclude that we have two choices:  either we give up on flow
 > labels entirely, or we permit them to be modified en route.

   First of all, there's nothing that is defined
   from which to take action based on the flow label,
   so I think this is largely an academic question.
   If we suspend some disbelief and posit an edge
   device which, say, polices a flow to a particular
   rate, why does it follow that the router would
   need the ability to rewrite the label? Certainly
   in the Intserv case, policers don't rewrite the
   5 tuple. Their only option is to change the PHB
   or drop it. In diffserv style, it can in addition
   to dropping and changing its queuing characteristics,
   rewrite the DSCP.

   So I guess I just don't see where a policer
   would need the ability to alter it. Also:
   pragmatically, we can alway change our mind
   on the mutability front if it starts life as
   *immutable*.

                Mike