>    Note that the current "hint" for round robin is less than perfect.

> => I agree but my concern is more about the requirement level.

>    I think the current implementations are covered by the SHOULD.

> => they are not compliant with the SHOULD, not a real problem for round
> robin (as it can be looked at a bad random order) but implementations
> which keep the same router have a very different behavior (than the
> recommended one).

I agre with Francis.  And, actually, our implementation (i.e. all *BSD
variants) basically keeps the same router (of the same priority), so
it will be non-compliant with the SHOULD.  I believe our
implementation is not the only example of this "non-compliant" behavior.

If the SHOULD is really the consensus, I'll change the implementation
so that it will be compliant again.  However, I'm still not fully
convinced that the change is worth making (perhaps many) existing
applications non-compliant.

As Francis pointed out, there are many cases of "several default
routers with a better one."  In this case, picking up random routers
(without the knowledge of router preference) will just be meangless,
because we'll eventually converge on the better router with redirect
messages.

>    If it was a MUST there might be a problem with current behavior.

> => I agree but a SHOULD in a draft standard (i.e. the intent) is
> really quite strong.

I agree, too.

So, I'm okay with a MAY, instead of the SHOULD.

I'll probably okay with a SHOULD if the proposal is combined with the
router preference proposal, because the preferenece proposal is also a
new stuff.

>    In Salt Lake City where the issue of combining this with the default router
>    preferences was discussed, the consensus was to keep this separate.

Yes, but I disagree with the SHOULD as well as separating those two.

                                        JINMEI, Tatuya
                                        Communication Platform Lab.
                                        Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
                                        [EMAIL PROTECTED]