Keith,

> Keith Moore wrote:
> I think it would be much wiser to NOT impose constraints on how
> people orgainze their networks until we have a hell of a good
> reason. e.g. If an ISP gives its customers /64s they should still
> be able to subnet. subnetting a /64 is a lot beter than NAT.

I think that we have a hell of a good reason here, and that good
reason is simplicity.

Between:

1. Telling ISPs that they should give customers that want to subnet
a /48. (or tell customers that want to subnet that, if they don't
get a /48 from their ISP, they'd better shop somewhere else)

and

2. Getting into subnetting of the IID with all its consequences
like loss of autoconfig, loss of privacy and so on

I say 1. is the path we must choose because it is the responsible
thing to do.

Michel.