It can... as soon as all address delegations are handled
 by RIRs. All we have to do is not have any address delegations
 done through the IETF e.g. kill the 6bone

 or....

 revise RFC 30xx to allow ICANN to update the zone based on
 IETF instruction.

% Why wouldn't ICANN finish this job in the fullness of time?
%
% It's clear that the IETF decision is ip6.arpa so we just have to
% make it happen.
%
%    Brian
%
% Bill Manning wrote:
% >
% > % If so, I think ID should refer RFC1886, then nibble-style, of cause.
% > %
% > % But I have a question.
% > % What domain should be the right stuff,
% > % ip6.int or ip6.arpa, or both?
% > % Please tell us WG consensus.
% > %
% >
% >         Its not WG consensus but it is true that it appears unlikly that
% >         ICANN will ever fully populate the IP6.ARPA zone. It turns out to
% >         be a subset of what is in the IP6.INT zone.
% >
% >         The IESG approved RFC 30xx (61,16, something like that) that
% >         instructs ICANN to only populate the IP6.ARPA zone with prefixes
% >         delegated by the RIRs.  Since a good chunk of IPv6 space was
% >         delegated prior to the RIRs participation in IPv6, the rules
% >         the IESG has given to ICANN prevent ICANN from doing the "right"
% >         thing.
% >
% >         So what do you think is the right thing to do?
% >
% > --
% > --bill
%