Date:        Tue, 16 Apr 2002 02:01:01 -0400
    From:        Rob Austein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

  | To reiterate (briefly): the stateless/stateful distinction makes sense
  | for address configuration.  For non-address-configuration, all the
  | protocols we're talking about are stateless.

Yes, "stateless" is the wrong word - what people are mostly meaning is
"adminstratorless" or "configuration free" or similar - that is, it all
just works without anyone configuring anything, anywhere.

Whether this makes any sense at all for the DNS is debatable, but perhaps
it might be nice to not require configuration of any more than the DNS
server (ie: configure zone files, and everything else is automatic - if
the zone files are setup for dynamic DNS, then the initial configured file
would need no more than SOA and NS records - nodes should automatically
(somehow) find the server, and then add themselves to it when they have
allocated themselves addresses).   Much of this may be pipe dream time,
as at the very least, something needs to be telling the nodes what domain
to use...

The "server" that is mostly talked about is the any thing that would
require any kind of configuration in order to supply information to a
node.

kre