> There my view on the issue is quite clear: For a simple node (phone, or a
PDA) or for a node in a simple network (PC in home environment, etc. - no
real administration), there has to be a way to use the DNS without running
_any_ additional protocols to additional servers. I believe that the current
'dns discovery' draft fills that whole rather well. (Though, the title of
the document does not really reflect the content - to my opinion).

I absolutely agree.

In other word, there are typically three players,

1) end-host
2) site network
3) ISP network

and "Stateless DNS discoery" is a zero-configuration method mainly for 1).

When the administrator of 2) wants to prepare DNS servers in his/her site
with assigning the well-know-site-local-uni-cast-addresses to them, 1)
simply queries to them.

When the ISP prepares DNS servers in its backbone, the CPE router of 2) acts
as a dual-sited DNS proxy to relay queries to the the
well-know-site-local-uni-cast-addresses of the ISP's site, or to the global
addresses which are informed via ISP-to-Customer (or PE-to-CPE)
configuration mechanism such as DHCPv6, SLP or papers.

Toshi Yamasaki / NTT Communications