>I am not quite sure what you mean...
>
>Assume that I have a router with 4 interfaces (A, B, C and D) in two sites (S1 & S2),
>with
>interfaces A & B in S1, and interfaces C & D in site 2, all on an OSPF network.  How
>many
>instances of OSPF would I need to run?
>
>Your message seems to indicate that I would need to run two -- one for S1 and one for
>S2.
>But, how would those two instance cooperate to calculate the global routing
>information for
>all four interfaces?
>
>Alternatively, I could run three copies -- one for S1, one for S2 and one for the
>global routes.
>But, how would that work?  I'd end up with two copies of OSPF running over each
>interface.
>Would they have the same, or different peers?

        sorry, let me back up.  i guess you need to either:
        - run 3 instances of OSPF daemons, one for S1, one for S2, and one for
          global.
        - run 1 instance of OSPF daemon, which is aware of site border.
          (still, there's no need for protocol modification)

>>         NEC IX router is the only implementation supporting this, as far as
>>         i know (i'm a bit embarrassed, KAME doesn't handle this - yet).
>Does the NEC implementation use multi-instance routing protocols?  Do you know anyone
>on this team?  Could we get them to describe how they handle the site border router
>case
>in detail?

        they should be on the list so they should be able to comment.

itojun