Tim Hartrick wrote:

> All,
>

> > Getting back to the observation that some in the community are
> > assigning /127s to the p2p links, this by itself does not imply that
> > the interface identifier concept is inherently broken and should be
> > removed from addrarch. Even if many operators turn out in fact to
> > number all their p2p links this way, this will be an extremely small
> > fraction of the total number of addressable end nodes. Thus, in
<SNIP>
> I am agreement with all the points that Thomas makes.  The point above
> needs further emphasis.  Simply because some operators use a
> /(n>64) for point to point links does not mean that all operators will
or
> should do the same.

The only reason that we use a /127 at IPng.nl is because those tunnels
aren't going to be native links ever.
For links that could once be turned over to native links one should use
a /64, and using /64 for these people
is simply a waste of space even if there is enough.
Same that we give out /60's, most people behind cable modems don't even
have more than 1 subnet and
the project is for learning. On a side note we picked /127 & /60's
before the other drafts where there ;)
Also the SixXS project is going to advise /64's on tunnels and /48's as
subnet blocks, though that all depends
on the TLA's policy ofcourse.. it's their space in that case ;)

As for my opinion on /64's per link and maybe making them smaller....
why should one.. this works perfectly.
Ofcourse one could also opt for a:
 - pick random hostprefix of n bits (eg.. if you get a /100 from the RA,
one picks ::123)
 - check with ND if it is in use
 - use it.

But this is ugly, and if you once have a /80 and then go to a /100 you
will have problems renumbering.
As addresses will change in that case, now one can trust to have a /64
for each link.
And how one picks a hostprefix... EUI-64 works great, so why change it ?

Greets,
 Jeroen