From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:owner-ipng@;sunroof.eng.sun.com]On Behalf Of Thomas Narten
Sent: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 4:44 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: FWD: I-D ACTION:draft-narten-ipv6-iana-considerations-00.txt

I'd like to formally request the following from the WG on this
document:

 - I'd like to see it become a WG document (to become a BCP RFC)

 - I'd like for folks here to review it and post any issues they have
   with it

 - I'd like to call special attention to the following text that it
   includes:

>    In addition, experience with IPv4 has shown that it is useful to
>    reserve an address block for documentation purposes that will never
>    be assigned for actual use in a network [DOC]. Such addresses can
>    safely be used in documentation, without the worry that someone will
>    accidentally (and incorrectly) configure them on a real network and
>    cause traffic intended for the legitimate owner of those addresses to
>    be impacted.
>
>    This document reserves the IPv6 address block XXXX::/32 for
>    documentation purposes.

There has been some private discussion about the need for addresses
for documentation, but it's probably worth discussing how much address
space is needed for this purpose, and what the prefix should be (e.g.,
allocate out of 001/3?). the /32 length is a strawman.

Thomas