Margaret Wasserman wrote:

Current text:

Hi Brian,

> Site-local addresses are designed to be used for addressing inside of
> a site without the need for a global prefix. Although a subnet ID
> may be up to 54-bits long, it is expected that globally-connected
> sites will use the same subnet IDs for site-local and global
> prefixes.

Proposed new text:

Site-local addresses are designed to be used for addressing inside of
a site which is not connected to the Internet and therefore does not
need a global prefix. They must not be used for a site that is connected
to the Internet. Using site-local addresses, a subnet ID may be up to
54-bits long, but it is recommended to use at most 16-bit subnet IDs,
for convenience if the site is later connected to the Internet using a
global prefix.

I would support this change.  However, I doubt that we will get
consensus to make this change before the addressing architecture
is issued as an RFC.  I guess we'll see how things develop in
Atlanta.

Alternatively, we could spend the next 5 years discussing the
unnecessary complexities of using site-locals on connected sites.

This is _exactly_ what I am hoping to avoid.

Let's limit site-locals to the well-understood case, and focus on
solving the real problems:

        - Getting IPv6 finalized and ready for wide-scale deployment
        - Multi-homing
        - Renumbering
        - Security model for shared IPv4/IPv6 networks
I agree with Brian and Margaret.

Brian