Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> Well, that was fun: send one message and receive a few hundred. Peace.
>
> I'm very sensitive to the argument about intermittently
> connected networks needing a stable prefix. So I would
> finally prefer the
> addressing architecture to contain yet another version of the
> text in question:
>
>    Site-local addresses are designed to be used for
> addressing inside of
>    a site which is not permanently connected to the Internet. Using
>    site-local addresses, a subnet ID may be up to 54-bits
> long, but it
>    is recommended to use at most 16-bit subnet IDs, for convenience of
>    subnet management.
>
> Why? Because we don't have consensus, and this text carries
> less baggage than the others, which seems appropriate for an
> architecture document.
>
> However, it may be that this change is not enough for the WG
> to recall the draft from the RFC Editor. I think we should
> hum on that in Atlanta.

I still believe this is a fundemental change in the architecture. In an
attempt to provide a constructive alternative, leave the architecture
document alone, then in the 'scoped' document change the definition text
to:

Site-local scope, for uniquely identifying interfaces within a single
site only. Site-local addresses are designed to provide stable addresses
for use inside a site. A "site" is, by intent, not rigorously defined
(just as Areas are not rigorously defined in an IGP), but is typically
expected to cover a region of topology that belongs to a single
organization and is located within a single geographic location, such as
an office, an office complex, or a campus. As such, one common use
instance of a site border might be the boundary between the IGP and EGP.
Use of site-local addresses for connections external to a site is
strongly discouraged, because they will usually be ambiguous values
outside their domain of reference. When applications are expected to
work across the site boundary, care should be taken to ensure all
participating nodes have global scope addresses available.

Tony