On Sun, 2002-11-24 at 04:12, Michel Py wrote:
> This sounds like a terrible idea. Site-locals are not for everyone, and
> we certainly don't want to encourage their use by making it plug and
> play.

Agreed, for site-locals alone it is a terrible idea.

Philosophically I'm with you, although I tend to be somewhat cynical
about it (and I must confess to playing the Devil's advocate a little
with my proposal). Site locals are here and I'm convinced that people
will find all kinds of uses for them, whenever they are convenient to
use or meet a specific need that globally routable addresses don't. It's
not very fruitful to concentrate on discouraging the use of site-locals.
Rather, the focus should be on eliminating the reasons that make people
resort to them.

Plug-n-play router configuration is a worthy goal in itself (and I'm not
only talking about site-locals now), since with IPv6 "people that can
barely figure out how to get the router out the box" suddenly find
themselves with plenty of address space and are likely to be setting up
networks of their own. I hope the zerouter BOF comes to something. We
need a good solution for this.

        MikaL