Pekka,

> Pekka Nikander wrote:
> "Good enough" ones are easy to generate without too
> much human intervention, for example, without any
> connection to the registry. OTOH, they are not
> necessarily unique, and therefore not "good enough"
> for some people.  IMHO, both types are needed.

Agreed.

> In any case, a modest suggestion:  Let's separate
> the GUPI prefix generation and registration processes,
> and make them sequential.

I have another suggestion: Let's split the FEC0::/10 space in two parts:
One for the unregistered "good-enough" and one for the registered truly
unique. By default, the "good enough" would be used and a random/hash
method would be used. But the network administrator would have a choice
of getting a truly unique registered prefix instead. This would likely
need to access some web page and pay a nominal fee.

If the address space is split, then we have a guarantee that the hash
process used for "good enough" will not grab addresses in the range that
is used for truly unique.

It is clear that the biggest the block for "good enough", the lesser
potential collisions. Therefore the truly unique addresses should use
only a modest portion of the FEC0::/10 block and leave the lion's share
to the hash algorithm.

Thoughts?
Michel.