> >> Michel Py wrote:
> >> Here's the dilemma: if the scope of GUPI is global, how
> >> could you guarantee that people won't pay their ISPs to
> >> leak the GUPI address in the defaultless routing table?
>
> > Keith Moore wrote:
> > If people don't want their addresses to be publically
> > routable, why would they pay their ISPs to route them?
>
> My point precisely:
> GUSL -> Scope is site-local  -> no public routing.
> GUPI -> Scope is global      -> if there is public routing
>         this solves the multihoming issue (unfortunately,
>         by exploding the routing table.)

Not necessarily.  There appear to be solutions for global routing
of distinct prefixes  which do not explode the routing table,
but they don't solve multihoming either.

> >> The big difference is that with GUSL we would have
> >> extended the scope to friendly sites, not to global.
> >> The risk of GUSL ending up global PI could be managed.
>
> > I don't see how this is changed by a decision to not
> > use FEC0::/10 for globally unique addresses.
>
> Because the scope of this new block would be global, if have not misread
> you (instead of local).

What you seem to be trying to do is to say that since we don't
currently know how to scale global routing of non-aggregatable
prefixes, we need an architectural limitation to prevent it.
I don't believe that it's appropriate to wire limitations of
current routing technology into the addressing architecture.

> > But there still seems to be an inherent conflict between
> > those who are demanding non-routable addresses (is anyone
> > else demanding this?) and those who want GUPIs to be
> > routable.  If there's really sufficient demand for both
> > maybe we need separate blocks.
>
> Since London I have tried to push a multihoming draft that implements
> local PI as identifiers. I've heard "It's based on PI, I won't even read
> it" and "PI sucks, don't waste your time".

Well, since Atlanta there is evidence of considerable interest in
PI identifiers.  So maybe people are coming around...

> What makes you think that GUPI would be different? You don't even have
> the multihoming carrot. Don't get me wrong: I'm not against GUPI on the
> principle, just pointing out that it has been stalled in multi6 forever.

multi6 is working on different things.  If it turns out that they find
a way to globally route GUPIs, that would be great.  But we don't need to
solve the global routing problem to make globally scoped PI addresses useful.

> In other words: I'm not saying we should not work on it because it's
> bad, but because it's a waste of time today.

Actually I think the lack of GUPIs is one of the biggest things blocking
progress of this group - it's forcing people to try to make SLs do things
that they simply cannot do well given the assumptions that are already
wired into the architecture and into code.

Keith