> > Keith Moore wrote:
> > no, this isn't what my goals are.  I don't want to make
> > FEC0::/10s unique, nor do I want to make them globally
> > routable. I want to discourage use of that prefix, and
> > provide a separate set of addresses which are globally
> > unique and routable off-site by private arrangement.
> > If at some later date we figure out how to make them
> > globally routable, so much the better.
>
> So what is the difference between this new GUPI block and GUSLs, except
> that you want a possible evolution to globally routable for the new GUPI
> block?

problems with GUSLs as an alternative to GUPIs:

- the proposed uses of PI globals change too many assumptions about
  how SLs were to be used to reuse the FEC0::/10 prefix for that
  purpose.

- there were too many conflicting or intractable assumptions about
  SLs anyway

- we need PI globals that can be routed between sites by private
  agreement anyway.

> >> Do you call recommending a default blackhole in
> >> routers an architectural limitation?
>
> > not sure.  here's the question - let's say that 3 years
> > from now we figure out how to make routing of GUPIs scale
> > globally.  having biased the last three years' worth of
> > routers to filter them, how do we then upgrade the routers
> > to not filter them?
>
> The obvious answer is that we create a new block _then_, not now.

no, because we need the block now to solve the problems with SLs.

Keith