Bob Hinden wrote:

3.2 Assignment

The globally unique site-local prefixes defined in this document are
intended to be manually assigned to router interfaces in a site. The
global token used in each prefix would be created from an EUI-48
address found in an interface on the subnet.

There is no requirement that this be the same as the routers interface nor is it required to be automatic.

MAC addresses were selected as a source of global token because they are good global token.
They are good global token, but they are tied to a particular piece of hardware
that might not be present in the same place in the network tomorrow morning.

And the process has to be somehow automatic, if not, what will happen if I (manually)
derived a prefix from one of the MAC adddresses on my router,
and one day I sell that router to someone else who is going to do the same thing?

- Alain.