> I believe that Bob has it right here.  Enterprises may well use NAT for
> provider independence and easier multi-homing, but in the home and
> small business area NAT is driven by address scarcity.  That address scarcity
> is artificial in many cases.  ISPs can charge for address space so they do.

okay, but don't forget commodity pricing.  "single IP address" is the
market norm, it's what most users currently expect.  anything different
would be more expensive just because of the nuisance factor.

that, and use of NAT is the current "conventional wisdom".  this is
changing, but it's taking awhile.  also NATs are in some sense invisible.
I don't know of any vendor that labels SOHO NAT boxes for what they are -
they just claim that they are "connection sharing" boxes, or worse,
"routers" - as if translating addresses were inherently a part of IP routing.

Keith