Hi Tim,

Not to pick on you... You are making some excellent points, and I
want to make sure I understand them.

And, I have serious doubts that
they will ever scale.  But, if that is the case and we are going to be
forbidden from seeking other solutions that involve site-local addressing and
renumbering then we have one hell of a pickle here.
Can you explain how site-local addresses and renumbering will actually
solve the route scaling issues in IPv6 and simultaneously avoid IPv6 NAT?
If so, I certainly wouldn't want to forbid it...

I think it is  extremely likely (virtually certain) that, unless we can
come up with a better way to achieve provider independence, we will get
site-local addressing used behind IPv6 NAT boxes (like RFC 1918 addresses
in IPv4).

People are employing IPv4 NAT today to get provider-independence, and I
see no reason to believe that this will change in IPv6 unless we come
up with a better (less technically damaging) answer.  But, obviously
it won't do any good to come up with an answer that destroys the
routing system...

In the meantime, though, I am afraid that we will force the use of IPv6
NAT (by continuing with our PA address allocation policies), when there
is currently no immediate concern regarding scaling of IPv6 backbone
routers.

Margaret