Hi Brian,

When 8+8 first appeared, I was delighted and referred to it as
"architected NAT." I think that is what we need, either in the form
of 8+8/GSE, map-and-encap, MHAP, or something like those. To me
that is by far the most hopeful class of solutions.
I agree.  There are some potential problems with these types of
solutions, but they seem to present the most promising path.  Also,
the problems may be less severe than our current choices (route
table implosion and/or NAT).

I think we have fallen into a semantic nightmare here...  When
I say that we need some type of provider-independent addresses,
it was not my intention to rule out these types of solutions.  In
fact, I think this may be where the answer lies.

Is this type of solution being actively pursued somewhere in the
IETF?

Margaret