Patrik Fältström wrote:
> I have now checked the document in the subject line _again_, and I
> think the basic problem is that (a) I don't agree with all of the
> problems listed being problems

The point is the guy on the street deploying a network sees these as
problems. Yes the IETF members can usually figure out work-arounds, but that
is done in the absense of knowledge about the cost constraints of the guy
deploying the network. Unless the IETF acknowledges the problems as
problems, then documents cost-effective work-arounds, the guy on the street
will figure out his own solutions.

That said, the document needs to reach WG consensus, so if there are issues,
send text.

> and (b) I definitely see the
> solution to
> many of these (as you see below in my mail earlier today) being to
> "just" use real IP addresses.

Aggregatable PI space would solve many, if not most of these issues. The
lack of aggregation in PI is why the draft says local use and a PI with some
minimal aggregation should be worked on in parallel.

> For example, that administration and registration of addresses is a
> pain and should be easier (not needed even) is a RIR issue,
> and should
> definitely not be an argument for using scoped addresses.

The RIR's are not the bad guys here, they are doing nothing wrong. It costs
money to run a registry, and those costs need to be recovered. At the same
time, many edge network managers will refuse to be locked into a provider,
but can't see any value in paying an RIR to maintain a database.
Particularly when there is so much space that picking random numbers is
unlikely to create a problem for quite awhile.

Tony