Eliot,

> Eliot Lear wrote:
> Subject: Geoff Huston's draft and the intended use of
> the hinden/templin address space
> If the sole purpose of these addresses is for layer 3
> connectivity as envisioned for LOCAL USE, then I would
> agree with Nir Arad that we do not have a problem.

Same here, however I do not think we can talk in terms of purpose. The
peril of these addresses is precisely that they will be used to ways
contrary to their purpose, which needs to be taken into account.

> If on the other hand, as Geoff states in his draft, and some
> people seem to be implying, that these addresses could be used
> as some sort of end point identifier outside of the routing
> system, then we do have a problem.

Note that as author of a two-space locator/identifier protocol I do not
share this point of view. There is a need for a private address prefix
that is completely separate from the prefix used for end-point
identifiers. Among other things, I fear that using private addresses as
end-point identifiers for global traffic will lead directly to NAT.

Conceptually, the endpoint identifier is like a PI address, which it
targets to replace. The only reason for the separation between endpoint
identifiers and locators is that it enables a reduction in routing table
size, _not_ because it wants to blend the identifier with the private
address. These are separate animals.

Michel.