Taking Carlos' analysis a step further, there are two kinds of "stuff" that
has to be fixed during a renumbering event: stuff that can be fixed
automatically (cost essentially independent of network complexity) and stuff
that has to be fixed manually (cost that scales with network complexity).
For example, addresses assigned through autoconf can be fixed automatically
while hard-wired addresses buried in config files have to be fixed manually.
 At the risk of over-simplification, there will be cost savings in
renumbering IPv6 networks - cost savings that can be directly attributed to
IPv6 - if there is more stuff in the first category for an IPv6 network than
for an IPv4 network.  That is, if we can point at stuff that can be fixed
automatically in an IPv6 network, we can identify cost savings.

The cost savings analysis in the previous paragraph focuses on time (and
$$$s) saved by network admins.  Another cost metric might be
time-to-renumber; that is, how quickly can a renumbering event be completed.
 For example, IPv4 hosts using DHCP can be automatically renumbered, but
there is a latency in the renumbering related to the length of the leases on
the addresses assigned through DHCP.  IPv6 hosts using autoconf can be
automatically renumbered by changing the advertised prefixes, presumably
with less latency.

Another potential advantage for IPv6 that is a little harder to quantify is
the notion of "graceful" renumbering - the ability to have a transition
state in which both the old and new prefixes are in use simultaneously.
Will this transition state work in practice?  Has anyone actually tried it?

So, here are three ways to assess the renumbering advantages for IPv6:

* Stuff moves from "manually configured" in IPv4 to "automatically
  configured" in IPv6, as a direct result of the design of IPv6
* Renumbering latency is reduced
* Renumbering is enabled by IPv6 (graceful renumbering) that can't be
  accomplished with IPv4

- Ralph