Dave,

I think this depends on what problem you're trying
to solve. In the case of mobility and multihoming,
you might want a stable identifier on a per-packet
basis which is independent of the routing layer.
This is the classic problem that mobile IP solves,
and I believe is also the jist of what HIP was
trying to address as well (or at least one of
them). One might even be able to make a case that
an IPsec SPI could serve the same purpose.

In all of these cases, a domain name per se would
not work well since it's too big. As you point
out, domain name as some form of session
establishment seems plausible, but it is clearly
not suited to the per-packet job which we have in
various forms these days.

              Mike