From: Raghunandan P (raghup) [mailto:rag...@cisco.com]
Sent: Monday, July 06, 2009 1:43 PM
To: Yoav Nir; Raj Singh
Cc: ipsec@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [IPsec] FW: I-D Action:draft-nir-ipsecme-childless-00.txt

Hi Yoav/Raj,

I think its a good idea for the initiator to announce its capabilities about
supporting just IKE SA without child SA. The responder will then act
accordingly.  Hence, this would make 4 scenarios:
[IKE_SA_ONLY] is the mode that will tell whether the device supports bringing
up IKE SA only or not.

       Initiator                          Responder             Result
 a)  IKE_SA_ONLY              IKE_SA_ONLY                  Bring up the IKE SA

 b)  IKE_SA_ONLY            Does not support            Send a Notify with
INVALID_SYNTAX
                                           IKE_SA_ONLY

c)  Does not support             IKE_SA_ONLY           IKE and child SA would
be brought UP
     IKE_SA_ONLY

d) Does not support           Does not support          IKE and child SA would
be brought UP.
     IKE_SA_ONLY                  IKE_SA_ONLY

My question is related to the scenario c) discussed above.
Is the result to bring up IKE and IPSec SA  or would the responder send a
Notify with INVALID_SYNTAX to the initiator since responder wants to bring up
IKE SA only and not the child SA.

It might be good to add a Notify (IKE_SA_ONLY) than the VID.

Regards
Raghu