Hi Tero,

Thanks for your valuable inputs.
Please find re inputs inline. <Raj>

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 1:00 AM, Tero Kivinen <kivi...@iki.fi> wrote:

> Raj Singh writes:
> > Your suggestion of having "critical" bit set on childless notify/VID
> payload
> > from initiator in IKE_SA_INIT exchange will define the bahavior as
> mentioned
> > below.
>
> That is not correct way of using critical bit. Critical bit means that
> if it is set and the PAYLOAD TYPE is not understood, then
> UNSUPPORTED_CRITICAL_PAYLOAD error is reported. Every implementation
> will understand Notify and Vendor ID payloads, thus they will never
> return UNSUPPORTED_CRITICAL_PAYLOAD regardless what the contents of
> those payloads are.

<Raj>
I  was under impression that we can have "critical" bit in childless
IKE_AUTH notify/VID.
Even Yaron also clarified in same thread that we need new exchange type to
have "critical" bit on it.

> > If initiator want to childless IKE_AUTH, it will send  CHILDLESS_IKE_AUTH
> > notify/VID payload having "critical" flag SET in IKE_SA_INIT request.
>
> And complient implentation will do what to do as RFC4306 says ie:
>
>      ... MUST be ignored by the recipient if the recipient
>      understands the payload type code. MUST be set to zero for
>      payload types defined in this document. Note that the critical
>      bit applies to the current payload rather than the "next"
>      payload whose type code appears in the first octet. The
>      reasoning behind not setting the critical bit for payloads
>      defined in this document is that all implementations MUST
>      understand all payload types defined in this document and
>      therefore must ignore the Critical bit's value. Skipped payloads
>      are expected to have valid Next Payload and Payload Length
>      fields.
>
> The correct way to do is to make new exchange type for this new
> childless IKE_SA_INIT & IKE_AUTH. That way old implenentations will
> then know that they do not understand this new type and will drop the
> packets. This is if you really want the property that if responder
> does not understand chieldless IKE_AUTH you do not want to continue at
> all.
>
> I have not yet read the draft, as I have been too busy with working
> group drafts already, and I still do not know if this is really needed
> at all...

<Raj>
If we can't have "critical" bit inside associated data of childless
notify/VID,  then
new exchange type is a near possibility.
Please have a look at the use cases in the draft for need of this draft.

> --
> kivi...@iki.fi

With Regards,
Raj