At 11:09 PM +0530 11/21/09, Jack Kohn wrote:
Steve,

 4301 contains We have explicit directions on how to use multiple SAs when
 the peers know that they want to send traffic with different QoS parameters.
 This appears to be an instance where the middle boxes are to examining
 traffic, and putting in into different QoS queues. That raises the question

You got it all wrong. The sender is sending packets with the same QoS
parameters; its the receiver thats trying to prioritize some packets
over the others. One would typically do this for the Hellos/KeepAlives
that are associated with a protocol, so that the  adjacency/peering
session are not timed out.

Jack

Jack,

Maybe I got it "all wrong" because the explanation provided in the messages was, at best, ambiguous :-).

Your description above is only marginally better:

- it fails to characterize the range of protocols for which you believe this argument applies,

-it fails to explain how WESP is relevant, since a receiver has the ability to process encrypted packets. WESP is a protocol that has been promoted as designed to aid middle boxes, not end systems

Steve