>> You got it all wrong. The sender is sending packets with the same QoS
>> parameters; its the receiver thats trying to prioritize some packets
>> over the others. One would typically do this for the Hellos/KeepAlives
>> that are associated with a protocol, so that the  adjacency/peering
>> session are not timed out.
>>
>> Jack
>
> Jack,
>
> Maybe I got it "all wrong" because the explanation provided in the messages
> was, at best, ambiguous :-).
>
> Your description above is only marginally better:
>
>        - it fails to characterize the range of protocols for which you
> believe this argument applies,

http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipsec/current/msg05070.html

This is one example, we could think of some more.

>        -it fails to explain how WESP is relevant, since a receiver has the

This has already been discussed in this email thread earlier.

> ability to process encrypted packets. WESP is a protocol that has been
> promoted as designed to aid middle boxes, not end systems

Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) (http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4271.txt)
was originally designed to work as an Exterior Gateway Protocol (EGP).
Today besides working as an EGP it is used in myriad other
applications, from discovering nodes in a VPN to distributing advisory
messages to remote network operators. So, i dont see a reason why we
should restrict ourselves to the applications for which a protocol can
be used ..

Jack