There were several motivations listed for childless IKE SAs.
 - remote access, where you create an IKE SA when the user wants to connect,
and only create child SAs in response to traffic
 - authentication only over a physically secure network (not necessarily EAP,
but I think this is the use case you referred to)
 - Location awareness (as in the SecureBeacon draft)
 - Some "weird" uses such as liveness checks without IPsec, NAT detection, etc.