From: Stephen Kent [mailto:k...@bbn.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 19:10
To: Yaron Sheffer
Cc: Scott C Moonen; Venkatesh Sriram; ipsec@ietf.org; ipsec-boun...@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [IPsec] Traffic visibility - consensus call

At 5:19 PM +0200 1/6/10, Yaron Sheffer wrote:
>I would like to reframe the migration discussion. Manav, Scott and
>everyone else, please correct me if I got it wrong.
>
>Suppose we have a middlebox that can do useful things if it knows
>that the flow is unencrypted, and only basic things if it is
>encrypted. A load balancer is a good example.
>
>We are slowly migrating all endpoints in an enterprise to be
>WESP-capable. During the migration period, the middlebox sees 3 or 4
>types of traffic:
>
>1. WESP from the new nodes.
>2. Depending on your view of whether we have the bit in question:
>encrypted ESP from WESP-capable ("new") nodes.
>3. Encrypted ESP from WESP-incapable ("old") nodes.
>4. And ESP-null from old nodes.
>
>Taking Manav's perspective, the middlebox can always use heuristics
>to distinguish encrypted ESP from ESP-null. As the number of
>WESP-capable nodes grows, it will see less and less ESP, so will
>spend ever less CPU power on heuristics.

It's not clear why nodes sending encrypted traffic would need to use
WESP (vs. native ESP), even if there is a WESP flag that indicates an
encrypted payload. Thus I don't agree with the conclusion that over
time there would be less ESP over all. If you said there would be
less use of ESP-NULL (w/o a WES header), I would agree. To suggest
otherwise is to pre-suppose that replacing ESP with WESP in general
is a goal, and I certainly don't think the WG has indicated that (nor
is it in scope at this time).

Steve

Scanned by Check Point Total Security Gateway.