From: ipsec-boun...@ietf.org [mailto:ipsec-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Brian
Swander
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 21:07
To: Stephen Kent
Cc: ipsec@ietf.org; Russ Housley; gabriel montenegro
Subject: Re: [IPsec] Traffic visibility - consensus call

Remember, the goal isn't necessarily to provide the full cross product of all
possible permutations, which is what you've done.  The goal is to satisfy the
customer scenarios.   Only if the customer really needs all the cross product
permutations, do they come into play.

My argument is that a very good deployment strategy that will meet many
customer scenarios is precisely to prune your matrix to make things
deterministic to the intermediaries.

In terms of your chart, that means that the only allowed combinations (of this
scenario) are:

Case    Nodes   Flow    S 1     S 2
1       N-N     I       EN      EN
3     W-W     I       W       W
4      W-W     E       EE      W*
5     W-N     I       EN      EN

Hence any (legitimate) ESP traffic that the intermediary sees must be ESP-NULL,
and the encypt flag is critical, as it is the mechanism to enable encryption
between uplevel machines.

The main point of WESP is to remove heuristics from intermediary processing.
Hence we need to focus on the scenarios that actually allow us to do that, and
enable as many of them as possible.

bs