From: ipsec-boun...@ietf.org [mailto:ipsec-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Tero
Kivinen
Sent: Friday, January 08, 2010 3:58 AM
To: Brian Swander
Cc: ipsec@ietf.org; Russ Housley; Stephen Kent; gabriel montenegro
Subject: Re: [IPsec] Traffic visibility - consensus call

[I finally managed to catch up all the tons of emails to the
ipsec-list, so now I can finally reply to few of them.]

Brian Swander writes:
> In terms of your chart, that means that the only allowed
> combinations (of this scenario) are:
>
> Case    Nodes   Flow    S 1     S 2
> 1       N-N     I       EN      EN
> 3     W-W     I       W       W
> 4      W-W     E       EE      W*
> 5     W-N     I       EN      EN
>
> Hence any (legitimate) ESP traffic that the intermediary sees must
> be ESP-NULL, and the encypt flag is critical, as it is the mechanism
> to enable encryption between uplevel machines.
>
> The main point of WESP is to remove heuristics from intermediary
> processing.    Hence we need to focus on the scenarios that actually
> allow us to do that, and enable as many of them as possible.

Note, that every time you have ESP-NULL traffic without WESP, you need
heuristics. I.e. the cases 1 and 5 still need heuristics regardless
whether you like that fact or not. If you try to inspect plain
ESP-NULL traffic you need heuristics to find out the algorithm
parameters for those ESP-NULL connections, i.e. what is the ICV length
and whether there is IV (and its length).

If you allow ESP traffic at all on the network you need to deal with
it, meaning you either use heuristics to inspect it or you simply
allow it go through or drop it (regradless whether it is encrypted ESP
or ESP-NULL).

If your use of ESP/WESP is such that it is beneficial for the users to
use WESP instead of ESP-NULL then they will move to it (i.e. if WESP
provides better QoS properties than ESP-NULL, then it will get used).

If it is critical for security that all traffic is inspected then you
cannot allow encrypted ESP at all (regardless whether it is marked in
WESP or not).

If it is "nice to have feature" (for example network statistics) to be
able to see inside ESP-NULL packets (regardless whether they use WESP
or ESP-NULL) then you either use heuristics for ESP-NULL packets, or
just notice that the amount of ESP-NULL traffic is so small that it is
no longer needed for network statistcs use (i.e. when WESP is
widespread enough in your network, you can stop trying to inspect ESP
packets to account that last 0.00001% of traffic still using ESP-NULL
instead of WESP).

I cannot really see any scenario above where it would really be needed
to put encrypted packets inside WESP.